- OptCom Group Coordinator
- OptCom Group Public Relations
- Former Scientific Coordinator of the Master in Optical Communications and Photonic Technologies
Recent Research projects:
- E-Photon/ONE European FP6 Network of Excellence Coordinator of Virtual Department on Transmission Techniques for Broadband Networks (work-package leader) - ended 2007
- NOBEL-2 European FP6 Integrated Project - ended 2007
- BONE, European FP7 Network of Excellence
- EURO-FOS, European FP7 Network of Excellence
- TOSCA Italian Ministry PRIN (Politecnico Unit Leader) - ended 2006
- Fastweb Testbed
- Huawei: research on MLSE optical receivers (2008-2009)
- Numerous research contracts sponsored by CISCO Photonics on ultra-high speed coherent optical transmission systems (2007-2017)
Fields of interest:
- high speed, long-haul DWDM transmission
- coherent optical systems
- fiber linear and non-linear effects
- electronic mitigation of propagation impairments
- computer simulation of optical communication systems
Current research activities:
- coherent systems at 1Tb/s per channel and ultra-long haul
- modeling of non-linear propagation in uncompensated coherent systems
Pierluigi Poggiolini was born in 1963 in Torino, Italy.
He received the MS degree "cum laude" in 1988 and the Ph.D. degree in 1993, both from Politecnico di Torino.
From 1988 to 1989 he was with the Italian State Telephone Company research center CSELT.
From 1990 to 1992 he was a visiting Scholar at the Optical Communications Research Laboratory of Stanford University, led by Prof. Leonid Kazovsky, where he mainly worked on the STARNET optical network research project. In 1994 and 1995 he was again at Stanford University, as a Post-Doctoral Fellow, working on the ARPA-funded CORD all-optical packet network project.
In 1998 he became an Associate Professor at Politecnico di Torino.
In 1998 he was awarded the international Italgas Prize for Scientific Research and Technological Innovation (now ENI prize).
Since 2000 he has been the Head of the Optical Communications Group of Politecnico di Torino (www.optcom.polito.it).
He was Coordinator of the "Virtual Department" called "Optical Transmission Techniques for Broadband Networks" (WP-VD-T) of the FP6 Network of Excellence e-Photon/ONe+. He was the coordinator of the Politecnico Unit of the Ministry-funded Italian project PRIN TOSCA. He took part in two more European Projects,BONE and EURO-FOS, aiming at European cooperation on state-of-the-art experiments of multi-terabit/s transmission over optical fibers.
He was the Scientific Coordinator of the Master in Optical Communications and Photonic Technologies of the School of Information Engineering (Facolta' dell'Informazione) of Politecnico di Torino from 2001 to 2007.
Since 2010 he has been a Full Professor at Politecnico di Torino.
He was technical co-chair, together with Dr. Marco Schiano and Prof. Andrea Galtarossa, of the conference ECOC 2010, the most prestigious conference on optical communications in Europe, and second worldwide.
His current research interests include coherent optical systems, electronic mitigation of transmission impairments, non-linear fiber effects and modeling and simulation of optical communications systems and networks. Pierluigi Poggiolini has coauthored over two hundred papers in leading journals and conferences.
In 1998 he was awarded the International Italgas Prize for Scientific Research and Technological Innovation (now ENI prize). He was awarded the IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology Best Paper Award for two years in row, for papers he co-authored in 2011 and 2012.
From 2005 to 2010 Pierluigi Poggiolini was elected three times to the Politecnico di Torino Academic Senate, as a representative of the Associate Professors. He was also an elected member of the "Consiglio Universitario Nazionale" (CUN), an official body of the Italian Ministry of University, Research and Public Education, for the term 2007-2010. There, he represented the Associate Professors nationwide, of the Topical Area 09, i.e., Industrial and Information Engineering.
In 2016 he was elected member of the Board of Governors of Politecnico di Torino for the term 2016-2020.
Since 2013 he has been a member of the "Consiglio di Indirizzo" of the "CRT Foundation".
Pierluigi Poggiolini is married and father of two daughters and two sons.
A complete list of Pierluigi Poggiolini's publications can be found here.
- downhill skiing
- soaring (flying with gliders)
- space flight history and future
- SpaceX amazing achievements, go SpaceX !
- electric cars and TESLA in particular
- a great weekly podcast on the history of spaceflight, highly recommended: Space Rocket History (www.spacerockethistory.com)
- the subreddit on SpaceX launches and ongoing programs: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex
Politecnico di Torino, Dipartimento di Elettronica
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24, 10129, Torino
Office: +39 011 564 4153
Mobile: +39 348 234 0028
Fax: +39 02 700 552 948